Wheat-free and gluten-free Flapjacks with seeds and nuts (Makes 15-20 Flapjacks)
350g of butter
2 generous tbsp of golden or maple syrup
A tbsp of honey
175g (6oz) of light brown unrefined sugar
75g of rice flour
375g of gluten-free oats
Juice from a fresh lemon
A tbsp of flaxseeds
A tbsp of sesame seeds
A tbsp of sunflower seeds
A handful of walnuts (or any other nuts available)
Optional: Add in some raisins
1) Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
2) Place the butter, maple syrup, sugar, honey and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Bring up to a simmer and stir, allowing the butter to melt and all of the ingredients to melt together to come to a liquid. When the mixture is smooth, take off the heat and add in the flour, oats, seeds and nuts.
3) Stir to mix and make sure the mixture looks coated and kind of sticks together! Spread into a greased tin measuring approx 25 x 38cm.
4) Bake in the oven for approx 20-25 mins until golden brown. Be sure not to put it too high in the oven as it will burn.
5) Remove from oven and let them cool for a 15/20 mins. When they are still warm, the key is to slice the flapjacks with a sharp knife. Take care as if they are too hot, they can begin to crumble. Once cut into 15-20 flapjacks, leave to cool completely.
6) Enjoy with a cuppa!